Campaign for Cottage Cheese: Week 1Posted: March 13, 2011
When I became a vegetarian three years ago, I began to research ways to consume enough protein. After much research, I came across an ingredient of wonder, magic, and mystery: Cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is low in calories and high in protein. In fact, 1/2 cup of lowfat cottage cheese has about 80 calories and 14 grams of protein. One chicken breast has about 280 calories, and while it has more protein I don’t think it is nearly as versatile as cottage cheese.
I know what some of you are thinking. Cottage cheese is for being reserved for nursing home brunch buffets and people that like clumpy food. Chicken, on the other hand, can be used for fajitas, nachos, pot pies, and filling take-out buckets. I’m here to prove to you that cottage cheese is incredibly versatile, tasty, and best of all doesn’t require Chicken Little to bite the dust.
Every Sunday I am going to provide a recipe utilizing cottage cheese. Here is one of my finest cottage cheese recipes which I recently concocted to calm my raging sweet tooth.
Apple Pie Parfait
© Alicia Smith, 2011
1/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 packets of Splenda [You can use real sugar, if you prefer].
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2-3T graham cracker crumbs
1/4 cup granola [Optional, but I enjoy it for the added crunch].
1) Pour unsweetened applesauce into a large coffee mug or microwavable bowl.
2) Zap in the microwave for 30 sec. or until sufficiently warm to your liking. I usually do it for a bit longer.
3) Mix in Splenda, cinnamon, and vanilla.
4) Spoon the cottage cheese on top of the applesauce.
5) Add graham cracker crumbs and granola on top.
6) Admire the layers of this beautiful dessert. Take photos if you’d like.
7) Stir and enjoy!